Menu
  News Weatherbys Return of Mares 2019

Weatherbys Return of Mares 2019

weatherbys

传奇sf合区The Weatherbys Return of Mares 2019, just published, shows the number of live foals registered to date in The General Stud Book totals 13,443, of which 4,655 are registered in GB and 8,788 in Ireland. This is a decline across both countries of 270 foals (-2%).

The total number of broodmares reported at stud in 2019 is 22,919. This is a fall of 622 or 2.6% from 2018. Of these, 2,927 or 12.7% were not covered (1,249 in GB & 1,678 in Ireland) and 498 or 2% were barren.

Of the 22,919 mares, 20,149 were covered this year by registered stallions and 13,893 conceived (5,524 in GB & 8,369 in Ireland), an overall conception rate of 68.95% (after deducting the 369 mares exported or died).

The number of stallions has remained the same in Ireland at 252 but declined by six to 152 from 2018 (158) in GB. The number of stallions covering more than 200 mares rose from 11 in 2018 to 18 and the most number of mares covered was shared by two stallions at 261 total recorded coverings each, a lower total than 2018 (281) and 2017 (341).

传奇sf合区 Breeders and owners have continued to register foals since the 30th September and total foal crop numbers for 2019 will be available in the Weatherbys Return of Mares Supplement published in early February 2020.

  2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
GB 4552 (-16%) 4502 (-1%) 4227 (-6%) 4302 (+2%) 4255 (-1%) 4466 (+5%) 4597 (+3%) 4674 (+2%) 4726 (+1%) 4655 (-1.4%)
IRE 7128 (-26%) 6890 (-3%) 6884 (-) 7051 (+2%) 7440 (+6%) 8205 (+10%) 8792 (+7%) 9044 (+3%) 8987 (-0.5%) 8788 (-2%)

传奇sf合区The Return of Mares also reports the following key data across the Thoroughbred population in GB and IRE:

  • 4,655 foals registered to 30 September in GB is a reduction of 71 (-1.4%) compared to 2018 but only 19 less (-0.4%) than 2017.
  • 8,788 foals registered to 30 September in Ireland is a reduction of 199 (-2.0%) compared to 2018 and 256 less (-2.7%) than 2017.
  • The 2019 crop comprises 51.1% colts and 48.9% fillies.
  • The percentage ratio of foals GB:IRE is consistent but moving slightly in favour of GB at 34.63%:65.37% compared to 34.46%:65.54% in 2018 and 34.07%:65.93% in 2017.
  • March and April remain the busiest months for foaling in GB – 1,375 in March (29.5% of total) and 1,388 (29.8% of total) in April, a combined total of 2,763 or 59.3% of the foal crop.
  • April remains the busiest month for foaling in IRE – 2,852 (32.4% of total).
  • 8,439 mares at stud in GB in 2019 compared to 8,667 in 2018 (a reduction of 228) and 9,015 in 2017 (a reduction of 576 in two years).
  • 14,480 mares at stud in IRE in 2019 compared to 14,874 in 2018 (a reduction of 394) and 14,434 in 2017 (an increase of 46 in two years).
  • 7,307 mares in GB (86.59% of mares reported at stud) were covered in 2019 compared to 7,409 mares in 2018 (85.49%).
  • 12,842 mares in IRE (88.69% of mares reported at stud) were covered in 2019 compared to 13,193 (88.70%) in 2018.
  • 5,524 mares conceived in GB (77.57% of mares covered) compared to 5,803 in 2018 (80.60% of mares covered).
  • 8,369 mares conceived in IRE (66.11% of mares covered) compared to 8,720 in 2018 (66.74% of mares covered).
  • 20,149 total recorded coverings in GB and IRE combined in 2019 compares to 21,297 in 2018 – a reduction of 1,148 – and 20,819 in 2017 – a decline of 670 in two years.
  • Number of stallions in GB has reduced by 6 from 152 to from 158 in 2018 and by 16 compared to 2017.
  • Number of stallions in IRE has remained the same as 2018 at 252 but has increased by 1 (from 251) since 2017.
  • 83 stallions covered 100 or more mares in 2019. This compares to 87 in 2018 and 92 in 2017.
  • 18 stallions covered 200 or more mares in 2019 compared to 11 in 2018 and 10 in 2017.
  • Soldier Of Fortune (IRE) and Order Of St George covered the most number of mares at 261 each. Soldier Of Fortune (IRE) topped the list last year with 281 total recorded coverings. He was also the most active stallion in 2017 with 341

传奇sf合区Copies of the Weatherbys Return of Mares can be purchased via: